My wife found this somewhere while trawling through Pinterest one day, and it’s become a staple part of our breakfast. Hopefully one day we can provide correct attribution to the original author.
- 1-2 apples, chopped
- One punnet of berries
- 1 cup of oats (rolled or whole, not instant or steel cut)
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- dash of salt
- 1 cup of milk
- ¼ cup of maple syrup
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 F/180 C.
- Cover the bottom of a 9"x6" baking pan with the chopped apples.
- Combine the oats, cinnamon, baking powder and salt and pour evenly over the apples.
- Sprinkle the berries over the oat mixture.
- In a measuring jug, whisk the milk, maple syrup, egg, vanilla essence and melted butter together.
- Pour wet mixture over the oats.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Can be eaten hot or cold.
Different fruit can be substituted for particular taste (or availability). We've substituted the apple with banana, and mango and peaches for the berries. Typically we'll use blueberries and green apples.